Jesus, I want to be like you!

We have all seen the bracelets (or heard of them), WWJD- What Would Jesus Do. Although I never bought one, the concept is the cry of my heart. I want to "do" things- do life the way Jesus would do it. I want to shine the light of Jesus by BEING- in my words, in my actions, my reactions. Lord, I feel like I have "backslidden" in this area! I want to reflect the light of Christ in everything I do, in everything I am.

Listen to what Kay Arthur says:

"When we stand before Him, one second in eternity will erase all care and thought of anything except whether or not we allowed the situations of life to make us more like Him. So remember, every situation that requires us to crucify our desires, our reactions, is an opportunity to let people see Jesus in us."

Oh, how my heart cries, "Amen!" How I want to allow the situations of life to make me more like Him. But, first I need to surrender myself to Him. I need to crucify my SELFISH nature and allow Jesus to be BIG in ME! How I want you, Jesus, to reign in my life! So, why do I keep pushing you off of the throne? Why do I step up and take over???????

I love when John the Baptist said, "I must decrease so that He (Jesus) may increase." That is my prayer, God! I want to decrease so that you may increase!

I want Jesus to be increased in my reactions when life isn't going my way. I want Jesus to be increased when I need an extra dose of patience and self-control (both fruit of the spirit- I have them already- but I want them to INCREASE in me!). I want Jesus to increase when I am being judgemental in my thinking of others. I want Jesus to increase when I should be more merciful. I want Jesus to increase in me so that I can forgive "yet while they are still sinners"- not waiting for an apology or for them to "get what they deserve." I want Jesus to be increased so that I can love how He LOVES. I want Jesus to increase in me so that I will obey the will of the Father. I want Jesus to increase in me so that I will trust and believe- not just in my head, but in my heart so that it is evident in my actions!

"For we who live are constantly being delivered over to death for Jesus' sake, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested (revealed) in our mortal flesh." -2Corinthians 4:11

"Let us keep our eyes on Jesus, the AUTHOR and PERFECTER of our faith..."- Hebrews 12:2

"...He that began a good work in you will carry it on to completion....."-Philippians 1:6

"Therefore, I urge you, believers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God. This is your spiritual act of worship."-Romans 12:1

Father God, praise you! Lord, you are good, you are glorious. Thank you for Jesus Christ. Thank you for grace and your Holy Spirit which empowers me to live my life in Jesus Christ! I don't have to react to situations the way my flesh wants. I don't have to lose my temper. I don't have to complain. I don't have to worry or fear. Lord, I don't have to do this in my own strength. "...your grace is sufficient for all my needs- where I am weak, you are strong!" I don't have to rely on or in my strength. But, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Help me to decrease, Jesus, so that you may increase. Help me to remember that every time I crucify my selfish reactions, my wrong thinking, my desires, it is an opportunity to allow Jesus to shine through me. Help me to allow you to be BIG in me. In Jesus' precious name I pray. Amen.

2 thoughts shared....:

... said...

my constant prayer is that those around me will be able to see Jesus in me. it's a humbling prayer as most of the time i feel so far away from the way Jesus is. but i keep striving, and can only do it through His strength. great post.

Unknown said...

Aah, to die to self, that is the goal. Great post, Tracy! Thanks so much for sharing. I look forward to reading more of what God has laid on your heart.