Idols all around Me!

As I start out early this morning, I realize God wants to continue on the study of idols…. He has so much more to teach me. Father, I pray for deep insight into Your Word today.


Back to Kings. I keep pondering this idea of worshipping both God, but also the gods of the world around us. In Solomon’s day, God warned Solomon not to marry foreign women because the women would turn his heart from the LORD and onto their gods. Solomon doesn’t listen. He thinks he can keep it under control, that he can “handle it.” Solomon ends up marrying 700 foreign wives and has 300 concubines. 1Kings 11:2-4 says, “…the LORD told the Israelites, ‘You must not intermarry with them, because they will surely turn your hearts after their gods.’ Nevertheless, Solomon held fast to them in love…. As Solomon grew old, his wives turned his heart after other gods, and his heart was not fully devoted to the LORD his God, as the heart of David his father had been.” This led to the downfall of his kingdom. We read that “God raised up an adversary” against Solomon. We read that God says, “See, I am going to tear the kingdom out of Solomon’s hand…”

Later in 2Kings, the people again turn to the gods all around them. 2Kings 17:33,41 says, “They worshipped the LORD, but they also served their own gods in accordance with the customs of the nations from which they had been brought….Even while these people were worshipping the LORD, they were serving their idols. To this day their children and grandchildren continue to do as their fathers did.” (Whew! Does that pierce my heart! I do not want my children to have the same struggles that I did with idolatry and bondage! I do not want them to struggle with a divided devotion as I did!)

When I ponder these verses, I know that when I look to the world, and the idols they promote, I can be tempted to mix my devotion to God with things of the world. This is why Paul tells us in Romans 12:2, “Do not conform any longer to the patterns of the world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind.” And, why he warns us in 2Corinthians, “Do not be yoked together with unbelievers….what agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God….As God has said, ‘Therefore come out from them and be separate.’” God wants to separate us from the gods of the worlds around us! He wants us to get our life from Him and not a cheap imitation of what the world has to offer! When we “yoke” ourselves, walk together in agreement with unbelievers, we can be turned to their way of doing things. (Remember Solomon?) This is why it is so important to have a circle of close friends who are also walking with God. They encourage you to seek after Him, not the world.

Speaking of yokes….

In Isaiah, God tells us our idols are burdensome. Isaiah 46:1-2, “…their idols are borne by beasts of burden. The images that are carried about are burdensome, a burden for the weary. They stoop and bow down together, unable to rescue the burden, they themselves go off into captivity.” Bowing down to our idols makes us weary!

But Jesus said, (hallelujah!) “Come to me, all who are weary and burden laden, and I will give you rest. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Lord, may we always come to You with our weariness. Thank You, Lord that Your yoke is easy and Your burden light. Thank You that love us so much that You don’t want us to search the world for help or love, but that You offer a True Way, a Pure Way. Forgive us, Father, for times we have tried to worship You and our idols at the same time. Lord, we desire to seek You with all of our heart, soul, mind, and strength. We love You, Lord! In Jesus’ Precious Name we pray! Amen!

0 thoughts shared....: