Iron Deficiancy

At my prenatal appointment yesterday, the nurse came in a second time to draw blood from a finger prick. She thought she made a mistake the first time. No, not a mistake. My iron was very low. The doctor asked, “Haven’t you been feeling extremely tired?”

Well, I had been, but…. As with most moms, laundry needed to be done, kids needed to be fed, homework needed finished, so I had been ignoring my tiredness, sneaking naps when I could, and trying to get through. I had been really disappointed with myself because my usual 5 AM wake time had become 7AM, and my quiet time with God had really suffered because of it. The low iron explained my tiredness!

And, there is an easy remedy- I need to take my prenatal vitamins loaded with iron! I have been a “bad girl” and not taking them. No wonderful excuses- just that I sometimes “put off” taking care of myself. Instead of just stopping and taking the vitamin, I would say, “I will do that as soon as I make breakfast for the kids.” Well, I would get busy and it would be lunchtime. As soon as I make Aaron’s lunch, or finish this load of laundry, or after I do this… Never actually stopping to take time to take the vitamin.

I thought about how easy this is to do with our spiritual lives, too. How depleted we can become because we are taking care of others or working or finishing all of the tasks that need to be done. We forget to take our “spiritual vitamins,” or even worse, like me with my vitamins, we know we should be, but keep putting it off. We know we should be reading the Word and spending quiet time before the Lord, but there is something else that needs to be finished. We become “spiritually deficient,” or tired or empty. We can become crabby or tired, short-tempered with our family. We can become critical and judgmental. We can lose hope and faith. We can begin turning to the “world” to fill us our give us a quick fix.

Just like our body, our spirits NEED this filling of the Lord! Just like eating and sleeping, our souls absolutely need to be refreshed in His Word and by His Spirit. In John 15, Jesus talks about Him being the vine and us being the branches. When we are ABIDING in Him and His Word, we will bear much fruit, and we are being filled by Jesus. The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, faithfulness, goodness, and self-control. When we are being filled by Him, He nourishes us and our fruit is healthy, plentiful, good for all around us! So, I encourage you today to “take your spiritual vitamins.” Jesus says, “Come to Me, all you who are weary and burden laden and I will give you rest. My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” He wants to refresh us! And, it is only in our relationship with Jesus Christ, spending time with Him and in His Word, that we will be filled!

Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. HE WILL NOT GROW TIRED OR WEARY and His understanding no one can fathom.

(Listen to this!) HE GIVES STRENGTH TO THE WEARY AND INCREASES THE POWER OF THE WEAK. EVEN YOUTHS GROW TIRED AND WEARY, and youths may stumble and fall, BUT THOSE WHO HOPE IN THE LORD WILL RENEW THEIR STRENGTH. THEY WILL SOAR ON WINGS LIKE EAGLES; THEY WILL RUN AND NOT GROW WEARY, THEY WILL WALK AND NOT BE FAINT. –Isaiah 40: 28-31

Father, we praise You and glorify You. You are awesome! Thank You, Lord that You never grow tired. Thank You that You never are weary. I pray that each one of us will come to You today to be filled and refreshed! Make us Lord, “those who hope in You.” Where hope has been lacking, renew it and strengthen it. Help us to remember that we MUST abide in You, we must continue to be filled by You so that we do not become tired and weak spiritually. We love You, Lord! In Jesus’ Name we pray. Amen.

0 thoughts shared....: