Put on that Armor! Part 2

I purposely split this post into two sections because I wanted to give extra attention to praying God's Word.

The Sword of the Spirit: We wield the Sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God. Our prayers will have POWER when pray His Word. Now God always hears our prayers, and we want to always just talk to God-NOT make prayer a rigid, rule-following, lifeless ritual. But, like I said, there is POWER in His Word! God spoke the Universe into existence. God said, "Let there be light" and there was light! Also, I know, sometimes my prayers need DIRECTION- otherwise I may spend too much time in the "wallowing, pity-party" stage (read Psalms- there was wallowing!). I want to pray to the solution- not the problem. And, I know there is a solution in His Word. "There is nothing new under the sun." What I am experiencing in my life, people experienced in Bible times. Sure, the exact circumstances may have changed- there weren't cars, preschool, the IRS (oops- there was- people paid taxes to Caesar!)...... but the root to the problem and the emotions, fears, doubt, principles of living, those things haven't changed. So, I go to the Source...to the One who can help me. When I pray, I don't want to get stuck focusing on ME and my problem. I don't want to make my problem bigger than my God, for goodness' sakes! I want to pray His solutions, found in His Word.

Deception..............It is soooooooo important to get an arsenal of scriptures memorized/written down, etc. so that when the enemy comes in, you have the Truth to replace His lies. When He tells you that you are a failure and you will never change- you'll always be a screw-up, tell Him, "I am a new creation in Christ! The old has gone and the new has come!" (2 Corin. 5:17, Col. 3) When the enemy tells you that you are worthless, nobody cares for you or about you, tell him, "I am the apple of God's eye! I am precious in His sight! The Lord is near. He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in me. He will quiet me with His love. He will rejoice over me with singing. I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Before the foundation of the earth, the creation of the world, God choose ME, I am blessed with every spiritual blessing in Christ. I am adopted into His family. I am forgiven, redeemed. For God so loved ME, He sent Jesus to die for me." (Psalm 139, Ephesians 1, Zephaniah 3:17, John 3:16, Isaiah 43:10)

And, I put God in rememberance of His promises. Jesus said, "Come to me, all who are weary and burden-laden and I will give you rest." I pray, "Thank you, Jesus, that you give me rest when I am weary. "

To worship and praise God, I pray Psalms- "Praise the Lord, O my soul. O LORD my God, you are very great; you are clothed with splendor and majesty.... He stretches out the heavens like a tent and lays the beams of His upper chambers on their waters....Praise the Lord. I will extol the LORD with all my heart in the council of the upright and in the assembly. Great are the works of the LORD; they are pondered by all who delight in them. Glorious and majestic are His deeds, and His righteousness endures forever." (Psalm 104, 111)

When I am under attack and feeling "beat up", I pray, "He that is in me (Jesus), is greater than he that is in the world. No weapon formed against me shall prosper. Satan, you are a defeated foe. " (Isa. 54:17)

When you need protection, pray Psalm 91 over you.

When I want to change my behaviors, I pray James, "Be slow to speak, slow to get angry, and quick to listen." And Ephesians, "Let no unwholesome talk come out of your mouth, only words that are useful in building others up according to their needs." I pray Philippians, "Do everything (this is a big word!) without arguing or complaining....then you will shine like stars in the universe." And speaking of Philippians, when I am tempted to worry- "Do not worry about anything, but with thanksgiving, pray about everything and then the peace that passes all understanding will keep and guard your heart in Christ Jesus." To be a gentle spirit, 1Peter, ".... your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothing. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight." And the fruit of the Spirit from Galatians, I remind myself that I DO POSESS these already and ask God to grow them in me, "love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, faithfulness, goodness, and self-control."


I have found that when I am not sure WHAT to pray, the best thing to do is go to the Word, and pray that! Pick up your sword- the Bible- and use it as the best defense AND offense you have!

There are also several books I have read that help you pray His Word in all circumstances:

the books by Stormie Omartian. "Power of the Praying (Wife, Parent, Woman)" and her book, "The Prayer that Changes Everything."

Beth Moore's, "Praying God's Word"

Father, thank you that you have given us your beautiful, powerful Word to pray. Thank you that you help us pray. Father, remind us daily with your sweet, gentle Spirit to bring everything to you in prayer. In Jesus' Name we pray. Amen.

1 thoughts shared....:

Wendy M said...

AMEN sister xx