Cafe Chat...talking about my Daddy!

If you have never heard of "the chat" before, it is a great time to ponder some questions about our AWESOME God, then "chat" about them. This meme used to be at the Internet Cafe on Saturdays, but recently moved to Thursday. I love this meme! If you want to read past chats that I participated in, simply search "cafe chat" to find other posts with that tag. Then, head over to the Cafe to read more posts of chatty women! Kim Uden from "Knowing Him" asks the great questions.

Today she has us ponder John 20:17 (NIV)

Jesus said, "Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet returned to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, 'I am returning to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.' "

Kim asked us to focus on the last part of the verse where Jesus now calls God OUR Father, OUR God. I had never pondered/focused on this part of the verse. She asks:


So today, I ask you what does it mean that you are able to call God your Father? Really think about this one, and then just let your words flow from your heart...

For me, this is awesome and amazing. I never experienced true love from an earthly father, so I have always latched on to the fact that GOD is my Father. It filled an empty place for me.

I know a sweet sister who really struggles with the name "Father" for God because she struggled with her own father. For her, "father" didn't equate to love.

Earthly fathers are HUMAN. They will make mistakes. There will be times, no matter how wonderful they are, that they will let us down.

But, God is NOT like an earthly father. God will never let us down. God never lies. God is always good. God never leaves us. God takes care of us. God has in store for us a glorious inheritance to come. God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. He doesn't change. He is slow to anger and rich in mercy. He is compassionate. He is long-suffering. His love never fails.

He IS love.

Even as a little girl, I loved the fact that God is my Father.

He is my "Abba", my daddy that I never had here on earth.

I imagine myself climbing in His lap as He strokes my hair.

He is someone I can cry out to when I am lost....when I am angry.....when I am scared.

He is my strong tower. My protection. My Rock.

Because of what Jesus did, I now have a RELATIONSHIP with God.

The Pharisees had a RELIGION full of rules, self-righteousness.....

They missed the fact that God, the Creator of the Universe, wants a personal, intimate, LIVING, BREATHING RELATIONSHIP with each and every one of His children.

I want to BREATHE in more and more of God. I want more of Him and LESS of me. I want to walk in His presence continuously. I want to be filled with Him MORE and MORE.

God has done everything that is needed. Through Jesus' death and RESURRECTION we have been fully restored into a right relationship with God.

Father God, thank You for being my Father. Thank You for being my God. I love You. I want You. I ask that You invade my every fiber and being. I want to be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. Help me today to be a Light shining for You. Help me to share You with a world who is hurting for a Father. In the sweet, precious name of Jesus I pray. Amen!

Don't forget to head over to the Cafe for more great Cafe Chat!

5 thoughts shared....:

HisFireFly said...

Yes, Father God, take each one into Your loving embrace, that they may learn Who You Are and just how very much You love them.

Great post Tracy.

Toknowhim said...

Tracy,

Thanks so much for sharing your heart with us today. You do such a good job answering the questions... I feel like I really know where you are coming from...

More of Him, less of me :)

Blessings sweet sister...

Lauren said...

I love calling God "Abba" ... it truly is a term of endearment - when I am on my knees wanting to crawl into the lap of my heavenly father! I love this post! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and for the sweet comment you left me. You're words are so encouraging!

Unknown said...

Tracy,

Thanks so much for coming by my blogs--I invited but somewhere deep down I really didn't expect you to actually go and leave comments...it was a very pleasant surprise and you are too kind. Growing up I never really thought of God as my father...just something to be feared and later on...to pray to, but not really a father. It's taken a long while and I'm still working on it but I'm getting there, slowly but surely. Thank you so much for the (overly) kind thoughts lol...on both blogs! I think it sounds like we have some threads in common here and I can't wait to read what else is to come on here...and I hope that when you have the time you will come by and "see" me as well. Thank you so very much.

Kristen

Unknown said...

PS...I just downloaded your bible study--it looks awesome!