Is the earth shaking?!





“God is our refuge and strength (mighty and impenetrable to temptation), an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore, we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.” – Psalm 46:1-3



Wow! This psalm says so much, and we could so easily skim right over it, reading it without giving it much thought. But, let's ponder it together....



Have you ever felt like life was crashing in around you? Have you felt like the earth was “giving way” under your feet? Have you ever felt like mountains were going to fall down all around you? Have you heard waters roar in your life? Has it seemed like life was falling apart? Have you felt afraid, unsure, stressed, attacked, or that life seems too difficult? This is exactly what the psalmist is talking about.

But, he has an answer for us.

Verse 1 says, “God is our refuge.” Don’t miss the first point- God is OUR refuge. This is personal. He is not someone else’s, but MY refuge. I can claim this for myself!

What is a refuge? It is “a place of shelter, protection from danger or difficulty, a place of safety, a safe retreat.” GOD is those things to us- He is our safe place- our protection from danger and difficulty.

God is also my strength. The Amplified Bible says “mighty and impenetrable to temptation.”

God is mighty- able to defeat any temptation or trouble that would come my way. Strength is “the state or quality of being strong, the power to resist strain, stress, and the power to resist attack.” This verse doesn’t say that I am my strength- it says “God is my strength.” I don’t have to draw upon my own strength and power, thankfully, because my strength always falls short! I am never strong enough, but God is.

Then, the psalm says that God is “ever-present.” He never leaves! He is ALWAYS here with us (even when we don’t “feel” like He is here, the Truth is that He is always, ever present). Psalm 121 says God is always watching over us. “He who watches over you will not slumber nor sleep (you don’t have to “lose sleep” with worrying, God is NOT sleeping). He watches over your coming and going both now and forevermore.” So, God is always with us, ever-present.

Well, not only is God always present, but He is an “ever-present HELP in trouble.” Sometimes we may have people in our lives that are always there in times of trouble, but they are not a help. God is a HELP. He is full of wisdom, He knows how to help. He sees the whole picture of your life, not just what you are going through at the time. He knows what we need even more than we ourselves do. And, “He works all things together for good for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose.” Sometimes, God is the only One who can help and we can trust and know that He has a perfect plan.

The next verse says “THEREFORE (therefore, because He is our refuge and our strength and is an ever-present HELP in times of trouble), we will not fear.”

This is a bold statement. It doesn’t say we shouldn’t fear, or that we don’t have to fear, maybe we won’t fear, but is a confident faith statement WE WILL NOT FEAR. I will make the choice to NOT fear, but instead to trust God because He is ever present and never leaves me, because He is my refuge, my safe place, and He is my power, my strength to resist stress and attack. Even though my circumstances may be awful- the mountains are falling down around me and I am in an earthquake of life- I am going to CHOOSE to trust in God. I am going to encourage myself in the Truth. I am going to resist fear and keep my eyes set on the One who can save me. I am going to believe this Word and live it, no matter how I may “feel.” I am going to repeat over and over to my heart that “God is my refuge and strength, an ever-present help in times of trouble.” I am going to declare this Truth and choose to believe it.

This psalm ends with a verse you may be familiar with, “Be still and know that I am God.” Let’s quiet our hearts and our minds and KNOW in our hearts and minds that He is God. He is Creator of the Universe. He is Creator of each one of us. He is the Alpha and Omega- the Beginning and End. He is our Father, our Savior, our Friend. He is our refuge and strength and ever-present help.

Father, we praise You. We love You. We know that You are God. We stand in awe and amazement of Your love and Your power and Your glory. We thank You that You are our safe place, our strength. We thank You that You take our burdens- You are strong enough. You help us in times of trouble and we need not fear. Lord, I pray for anyone that is experiencing an “earthquake” of life, they feel the earth giving way beneath them. Come to them, Lord Jesus. Remind them that they are not alone. Whisper to them that You are here, waiting for them to lean back upon You, to depend on You. Make it reality to them of who You are. Praise You, God! In Jesus’ Name we pray. Amen.

1 thoughts shared....:

Kela said...

Tracy, It is so awesome to be reminded of how big our God is and how strong He is. He is our Daddy (Abba) and will go to any length to keep us protected and for us to find refuge in Him. He cares for and loves so deeply and passionately that we can never, ever fathom the depths of that.

Thank you for sharing this post and the abundance that we should gain from God's promises to His children.